http://www.creditdonkey.com/thanksgiving.htmlThis is a really cool graphic that I would have loved having as a poster when the kids were little. Here’s the info, if you can’t see it clearly. (It’s clearer at their site; the embedding seems a little small for 50-year old eyes to see!!)
A Little History…
- 102 People Sailed on the Mayflower.
- The journey took 66 Days
- The first Thanksgiving lasted for 3 days at Plymouth Colony, somewhere between September 21 and November 11, 1621
- In 1863 President Abraham Lincoln proclaimed the last Thursday of November to be Thanksgiving.
- 5 deer were eaten at the First Feast
- No Turkeys were eaten; but lobster, seal and mussel was on the menu
- No Pies or cakes at the first Thanksgiving. 😦
- 1924 – First Macy’s Day Parade (Snoopy has been there since the first one!)
- 1934 First Pro-Football game on Thanksgiving
- 248 million turkeys are raised in the U.S. in 2011; 1 of 5 of these are eaten at Thanksgiving.
- Minnesota alone is expected to produce 46.5 million turkeys this year!
- 1.1 billion pounds of pumpkins were produced in 2010
- 2.4 billion pounds of sweet potatoes were produced in 2010
- 750 million pounds of cranberries are expected to be produced in 2011
- 42.2 million Americans traveled 50 miles or more for Thanksgiving last year