Thanksgiving Day 2012

happyThanksgivingYou may have noticed the little speed bump we had on Thanksgiving Eve. But never you mind, we all made it through just fine. ๐Ÿ˜‰ Actually, having mom stay here for a couple of nights made it easier on me. No transporting back and forth, forgetting her meds or her book, turning around and going back. Can you tell I’ve done that a few times? Anyway, I want her to have as much independence as she can handle and wants – but on busy days, the taxi-ing can get a little taxing!


So, with no evening prep, I got up and got started. Sweet potatoes first – becauseย I had boiled them the afternoon before. ย Unfortunately, when Alyssa stopped by I got distractedby the Annual Dog Show (we watch this instead of the Macy’s Day Parade) and they burned. I mean – really burned. Throw them out, kind of burned. ย So I gave Ron a list and he went to the store. We can’t do without sweet potatoes – I think that’s the ONLY food Ron likes from the Thanksgiving Feast!

Alyssa came by early to make mashed potatoes for the Fire Station Thanksgiving. I helped her make a ton of potatoes – they eat a lot and it was unpredictable how many would be there. So that took up a lot of the morning. And the counter space, which is very limited.

After she got out of the way with her potatoes, I was able to start on OUR Thanksgiving food. Katie’s boyfriend wanted to pick her up at the airport as a surprise, so that was nice for them – and one less thing on my plate! ย It was clear I wasn’t going to get to making the pies, or even the green bean casserole. I did, however, roast and stuff a beautiful turkey! I ย made mashed potatoes, gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberries, plain green beans, rolls, and I even warmed up the spiral-cut ham. The pumpkin and pecan pies were from the store, though. ๐Ÿ˜ฆ

Alyssa came back briefly, watched a little t.v. and chatted with me while I cooked. She went back up the fire station because Josh’s family was going to bring a dessert up there to share. She ended up staying for quite a while. She missed Scott and Pam’s visit. They were on their way out to East Texas after their Georgetown dinner. They brought an ENORMOUS motorcycle to tour around the Piney Woods. Michael called from Nicaragua, so I didn’t get a chance to talk much with them before they were off!

Alyssa got back about an hour before Katie and Kirby made it home. It seems that when I texted Katie to tell her I had a surprise for her (Kirby picking her up at the airport), I gave away the surprise. Anyway, she was happy!

We quickly put all the food on the table, reheating where needed. Grandma said her traditional Catholic grace. I was too pooped to remember I wanted to go around the table and hear what everyone was grateful for. Oh well. Next year.

Oh, remember last year? My little front room evolved from a piano room to a cozy little sitting room for me? Well, it’s changed again – back to a dining room. And I love it!! I’ll take some pictures and show you. It was really nice to be AWAY from the mess of the kitchen. This time, I moved the buffet into the dining room, so we had plenty of room to set serving pieces and wine bottles aside, yet within reach. It was nice.

The evening ended with some dish-washing, and then a movie. This time, Alyssa’s choice was Mary Catherine Gallagher in Superstar!

Afterwards, because Alyssa had to work the next day, she left to goย home. Kirby and Katie decided to go meet friends at Karaoke, so they left too. The house was quiet. Ron crashed in a Thanksgiving coma, and I sat contentedly by my new fireplace.


Let me know what you think, ok? Please comment.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s